California
has recently passed a law to soften their three-strikes law. The three-strikes
law was originally passed in the 1990’s after two young white women were
murdered by men with violent criminal histories. America voted in a fit of
anger to pass the three-strikes law. Essentially a third offense after two violent felony crimes
could land someone in prison with a 25 year-life sentence. “Under the statute
the third offense that could result in a life sentence could be any number of
low-level felony convictions, like stealing a jack from the back of a tow
truck, shoplifting a pair of work gloves from a department store, pilfering
small change from a parked car or passing a bad check” (Staple, 2012). The law
spread to 24 other states by 1996 and resulted in grossly overpopulated
prisons. “As it turned out, three strikes created a cruel, Kafkaesque criminal
justice system that lost all sense of proportion, doling out life sentences
disproportionately to black defendants” (Staple, 2012). At the time that the
three-strikes law was put on the ballot “a few noted criminologists predicted
that “three strikes” laws, which would sweep the nation, were unlikely to have
much effect on crime, would fill the nation’s prisons to bursting and would
satisfy frustrating voters at the expense of bad public policy. They were
largely ignored” (Gross, 2013). Personally, I can’t understand how it’s taken
this long for California to revise this law. While I am sympathetic with both
of the victim’s families, their fathers should not have been the ones writing
legislation.
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/11/25/opinion/sunday/california-horror-stories-and-the-3-strikes-law.html?_r=0
Observation: 10 years after the law was passed nearly half
of the three-strikes offenders were serving 25 yr-life sentences for petty
crimes.
Wow Talia, this is one of the best posts I've seen, thanks for sharing this. I've always heard about the three strikes concept, but never really knew its origin or if it was something that was real. After learning a little about the prison system, I think I am one of many who are completely against its practices. Makes me wonder where Texas is now..
ReplyDelete