This past Monday in class we did two exercises. The first
was an exercise where the class had to stand in the middle of the room. Our
teacher would then read out instructions for us such as: “place your hand on
someone you are close to” or “place your hand on someone who has more power
than you” or even “place your hand on someone you feel shy around”. This
exercise was really interesting because it required you to tear down any
barriers you had about power or class or race or your emotions down. Sometimes the
game made you feel uncomfortable. It was hard to admit that you felt someone
near you held more power than you not only because of your own vulnerability
but because in the real world we are taught not to admit these things. The next
exercise was a play on power. Our teacher pulled 5 identical chairs into the
middle of the room and we were to construct the chairs in such a way that one
chair appeared to have “more power” than the other 4 chairs. The game had an
ominous feel to it. The sound of the chairs dragging on the floor was loud and
dramatic. Then one of the chairs would really appear to “be in charge” of the
other chairs. More than anything it was interesting to see people come up with
arrangements I had not thought of myself. The most memorable to me was one of
the first arrangements. Our teacher had placed four chairs in a row and one
chair “sitting” in front of them facing them. I had thought of turning the
“power chair” around to face away from them so it appeared as if that chair was
leading the others. Next, another boy in my class took the “power chair” and
placed it behind the row so that it appeared that it was watching the other
four chairs. It was something that I hadn’t thought of at all and seemed even
more powerful. After the class I was talking to one of my classmates, Kaleigh,
about the exercises. Both Kaleigh and I live in cooperative housing. We began
talking about the way that power is divided in our own homes, whether it is
through proper election, or in some cases through the overpowering of someone’s
personality. It really made me think about how there is this notion of
cooperation and equality in our houses, we all pay rent, we all make decisions,
but there is a power dynamic. The person in charge of the kitchen and the meals
that we eat has a lot of power that I’d never considered before. It’s
interesting to see how I could overlook power dynamics in my own home so
easily. It almost frightens me to think about what power dynamics I am
overlooking in "real" life.
Observation: When you shop at buffalo exchange you can either take a bag for your purchased clothes or choose to donate the cost of the bag to a charity.
Observation: When you shop at buffalo exchange you can either take a bag for your purchased clothes or choose to donate the cost of the bag to a charity.
Thanks for commenting about the in class games. It's helpful to hear what people think after the games - sometimes a game effects someone days later.
ReplyDeleteI really wish I had been there! This sounds like such a powerful exercise. The placing of the chairs is extra interesting to me, especially when I think about all of the classrooms I've learned and taught in.
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed this day in class and I believe that you described it very well. It was very mind-opening and really gave everyone a chance to show their point of view not through words, but through symbolic placements of the chairs.
ReplyDeleteComment #1: I'm glad you mentioned this; I wasn't able to be there Monday and I was wondering what you guys did. That sounds really interesting, but honestly, I think I'm happy I wasn't there, because I know for a fact I would have felt uncomfortable. I guess that's the point right? To get out of your comfort zone. I don't know, but power dynamics are difficult to notice and sometimes difficult to accept. Everyone is always trying to better themselves, and sometimes these dynamics come subconsciously--as you mentioned in your home with the cook. I was really intrigued by your post, I love it when it gets me thinking outside the box. Thank you!
ReplyDeleteI really enjoyed these games too. At times I felt a little uncomfortable with some of the questions but I think that was the point. However these games made me think/wonder about the power I have and the power that others have also
ReplyDeleteIt was interesting to me how one persons perspective on power was different from anothers. Some of the arrangements wher the chair was in power looked to me like the group was in power.
ReplyDeleteComment 1: It was so interesting hearing about how you viewed the game and how it made you change perspective of how you see power dynamics in your own house. Hearing your input about your living situation and the dynamic of the house that you had normally overlooked made me realize that I do the exact same thing. It's crazy how an interactive game can have such an impact.
ReplyDeleteYour observation was very cool. I had no idea that buffalo exchange offered that! I would be interested to know what the statistics are on how many people take that bag for themselves and how many people would donate it to someone in need. Very cool.
ReplyDelete